The benefits of entrepreneurial skills to the society can never be overemphasized. The possession of relevant skills would make one an attractive candidate in most field especially in teaching profession. Such skills such as blogging cannot pigeon-hole creativity and resourcefulness which is vital to effective teaching and learning.
Blogging for teachers brings about professional development in all ramifications as well as a huge money spinner. Thereby making teachers rich and successful in their career. Personally, I sought for a means to fill this vacuum of not being a practicing teacher for a long while; a platform to channel my pedagogical energy and talent to. Having being trained to be a Web 2.0 Social Media Expert, implementation became a nightmare. This was the case until I purchased my website with the help of a mentor.
Website used to provide one-way conversation until the evolution of web 2.0 (the social web) where websites provide a two-way conversation and blogs. With the advent of web 2.0, blogging have come to stay. Web 2.0 is the second stage of development of the World Wide Web, characterized especially by the change from static web pages to dynamic /user-generated content plus growth of social media.
What then is a Blog?
A Blog is an online platform consisting of entries (posts) appearing in reverse chronological order with the most recent appearing first.
Blogging is the act of writing a post for a blog. It is also the sharing of information over a blog/website. Blogger is the person who writes the content for a blog. Blogospere is the online community of blogs and blogger.
Blog comes in a reversed chronological order. It is a blog that makes a website more interactive. If you wish to purchase a website for your business or area of specialization, you need to have a blog in your website so as to attract more visitors to your site and make progress.
I remember the saying that: “a good teacher is the one who gives their student roots and wings. Roots to know were home is, wings to fly away and exercise what is being taught to them”. Teachers must play an important role in making a child to realize their dreams. Teaching can be said to be a Call, a Ministry that attracts lots of sacrifice and selfless service. Without love and affection; teaching can never be successful.
Let us look at the general benefits of blogging before considering those pertaining to teachers alone:
- Market/promote your products/expertise. Lecturers/ Teachers, Make-over artistes, Seamstresses, vendors, Engineers,; take note!
- Direct and Indirect (Affiliate) marketing.
- You get to showcase/establish yourself as an Expert in your area/niche.
- Online Publishing of books and software.
- Stay active. I might not be active by practicing in the classroom; but I am active by practicing in my blog
- You can actually help as well as empower people by writing on your life experiences. They tend to learn from your experiences and story as well.
- You get prepared for Consultancy jobs.
- Adding to your CV; Networking and proficiency in web development and management is wonderful. Eg. A Teacher/Lecturer will manage an institutions’ website better than an ordinary ICT expert.
- Networking: you get to meet professionals like you
Blogging enables teachers to:
- Seek and collect positive and relevant feedback
- Reflect on learning strategies and growth
- Boost his/her motivation about the profession
- Nurture a creative teaching and thinking mind
- Teach and live purposefully
- Remain relevant in the field of teaching
- Discover new hobbies and areas on interest which can be inculcated in teaching strategies and aids.
Most likely challenges teachers face as bloggers:
- Adding to the busy schedule of a teacher; to maintain and manage a blog can be time-consuming.
- Implementation; teachers that fail to give opportunities to apply the conversations (inputs) in the blogs back into the classroom; would not achieve the set goal.
- Teachers’ inability and unwillingness to engage in technology and social media. Blogging becomes a challenge and boring experience to them.
- When teachers are afraid of being judged or criticized by others.
- Teachers need to keep adding new creative and informative articles and post intriguing information so as to keep your visitors (students) interested.
- When students are involved in blogging, it is of paramount importance to gain parental support and permission.
- Teachers need to learn to respects students opinions as well as other visitors
A blog/website has become one of the most important marketing assets, a platform you can use to promote and showcase your talent/business. The world have gone digital.
As my Tutor will say; you can do anything and everything with a blog. Perceive Blogging as your 2nd job and keep your main job. Avoid depending on your monthly salary. Hmmm! Blogging brings out the entrepreneur in you. We teach, we blog! Every Teacher/ Educator needs a blog of its own, a webhosted blog. In a short while, i will be publishing a brief guide on how to purchase a webhosted blog in a jiffy, say 20 or 30 minutes.
Siteground, my webhosting company has an affiliate program I signed up for. I receive $50 for every person I refer to siteground and they buy a website. You won’t believe it but it is true. The least you can purchase your website is $47 but I will be paid $50 if you made the purchase via my referral link. Never say never! It’s now!
Have you found this write-up useful? Then click to share with your colleagues and friends via Facebook, Twitter, instagram and watsapp. kindly cue in your comments or questions in the comment box below. You shall receive a response shortly.
Like us on Facebook, Follow me on Twitter! Get notifications of new posts via email if you subscribe by adding your email address on our site!
Onwukeme Ijeoma is a passionate Science Educator, Researcher, Academic Counselor and Consultant.